When you start a family, one of the first things you will consider is how you can keep your loved ones safe and healthy. But your job as a parent isn’t just about earning enough money, providing a safe home, and making sure that everyone eats healthy meals. It also means getting the right family health insurance.
Here are some compelling reasons why you need a health insurance plan for your whole family:
- Wellness checks for the entire family. A proper insurance plan approved by the ACA (Obamacare) covers the costs of visits to your doctor. That’s for both the parents and the children alike. These visits can help monitor the health of family members so that any potential health issue can be discovered as early as possible. Health conditions are generally much harder (and more expensive) to treat when they’ve worsened over time.
- Preventive measures for everyone. Children are immunized for a wide variety of diseases, and these vaccines are all covered by your health insurance. They’re also screened for other potential problems such as obesity, mental development issues, behavioral concerns, blood pressure, and other problems. Their hearing and vision are checked, and an oral health risk assessment is also performed.
Adults are also screened for various medical conditions too. There are also some preventive services specific to women, such services for pregnant women or for women who don’t want to be pregnant just yet.
- You’re protected from catastrophic medical expenses. Everyone knows that medical expenses can be horrific, and many families may not have the means to pay for everything. That’s what insurance is for. They make sure that you can pay your share if a medical problem arises, and the insurance company takes care of the rest of the payments.
You need to think about your deductibles, which is the amount of money that you must pay out of pocket before the insurance begins to pay out. A higher deductible means a lower premium, but you need to make sure that you have the means to cover that deductible amount.
- It doesn’t have to be very expensive. Various subsidies are available under the ACA so that you can afford to pay for the coverage you need. These subsidies can cover most of the premium expenses so that you’re not overly burdened.
- It can get expensive if you don’t have insurance. That’s because the law (for now) mandates that you have to get proper insurance. If you don’t, you’re going to have to pay a penalty when you file your tax returns. You have to pay several hundred dollars per family member or a percentage of your income.
It doesn’t make sense not to have family insurance if you have a family. With a good health plan, you will have a lot to gain and little to lose.